Friday, March 26

Put That On A Resume!

About this time last year I remember being terrified at the thought of soon parenting 2 kids; I knew that one was hard enough. I'm proud to say that I just finished my second day of parenting 2 kids all alone. Truth be told, the last few days has not felt very different from my usual existence. It's business as usual when it comes to managing the chaos. Though I do miss my man and all the little things he does around here in his "spare" moments of non-working existence. Leaving the house without the kids is a significant act of personal care and not being able to do this would catch up with my psyche within a week if I had to be a single-mom for any length of time.

Matt said he thinks he passed his exam - it's pass/fail/pass with distinction. He's not sure about "distinction" but, heck, it's over... It's over. He gets to wander around New York City tomorrow before his flight leaves in the PM. I can imagine walking through St. John the Divine after the restorations have finally been done. I can't remember what it looks like without construction material in it. I imagine laying on that rock in Central Park that jets out over the bay and reading. I can see the debris on the floor of the subway and hear the acapella singers begging for money. Mmm... yeah, I'm missing it. It was such a nice respite from life in New Jersey. (Today Brendan asked if he could go to NJ. LOL Trust me kid. They wouldn't take kindly to your good mood.)

Also, Matt told me that he talked to a PhD student at Drew who is researching domestic violence and conservative religion. He told her she should read my research and turns out she is already using it as a reference by recommendation of a professor. Suddenly I feel like I made a contribution to this field of study. And suddenly I remember what it was like to exist as something more than a milk-dispensing, food-making butt-wiper. I'm smiling as I type that; I'm not really complaining. It's just so strange - the contrast between my former and present life. I believe that one day sanity will revisit me and I'll see 2 kids in my house that wake, dress, bathe and feed themselves. On that day I will point both index fingers at them and say, "I did that!"

Put that on a resume!

3 comments:

Matt W. said...

Fantastic on all counts, babe.

loriann said...

"...milk-dispensing, food-making butt-wiper. HILARIOUS!

As for the rest of it - you know you're brilliant, girl! And so do I!

T. Basselin said...

Other Hobbies/Skills/Interests:
Hiking, good music, butt wiping . . .