
I’ve been mentally preparing myself for age 30. I’ve decided that the most appropriate way to enter a new decade of life is to review the previous one - see what I’ve been doing for the past 10 years. So, I pulled out the record of my 20’s, which (come to find out) are 3 measly journals. It surprised me to see that the past 10 years of my life could fit into such a small space. But, as I read I realized that during my saddest times I didn’t write much. Writing is where I get painfully honest. It seems I was able to successfully avoid myself.
So, I read through these 3 little journals and apparently this is what I’ve been doing for the past 10 years -- aging and moving. It seemed like most of my entries start off saying either, “I turn X number of years soon” or “We just moved into a new place”. Somehow, I didn’t expect to find this in these little books. I mean, if I were going to cram 10 years into 3 books you’d think I’d start with the good stuff like, “My therapist said X about me but I secretly know the truth - she’s wrong!”
I’ve gotten to know myself pretty well over the years and guess what? I like me! In fact, the more time I spend with me - the more I really like me. I won’t deny that I’ve got some issues to work on (“women’s issues”). Sure, there are times when I would take a vacation from myself if I could. I can be kind of negative, cynical, pessimistic and premenstrual sometimes. But other than that, I’m great! (Wink) Don’t worry, I’ve got a good man to keep me real – and he does.
But you know what else I found in those journals? I am able to go from skin deep to the depths of the soul in point 1 seconds. So… I found some worthwhile treasures in there and I’d like to share them with you.
I’ll be posting small pieces of these entries over the next few weeks as a way to initiate myself into the great era of my 30’s.
Come along… if you dare.
3 comments:
I'll get my popcorn and wait by the computer. :)
Happy (early) Birthday, Grace! I like you TOO!
Is it just a woman thing? I didn't think much about turning 30, and I don't think I have ever heard a man make such an ordeal about turning 30 as I have every woman I know has!(did that make sense?) It's only what you make of it. For me, if I worried so much about what I did or din't do over the last 10 years, it would just depress me.
You have done alot and learned alot. think more on what you will do, but don't get so caught up in thinking that you miss out on something.
Post a Comment