5. Why my mom is always right...
I’m trying to remember what I had in mind to write when I promised this post. (Click here if you don’t know what I’m talking about.) I know that she is always right but right now I’m trying to remember how I know this. Maybe if I retrace my steps I’ll remember.
Let’s just say from age 0-1 she was always right by nature of necessity. Age 2 was when I first learned that I was right at least some of the time. Age 3-15 she was always right because it was either that or suffer the consequences. But when age 16 came around I tried to tell her what I learned at age 2, namely, that it was time for me to be “always right”. She was forced to put me in my place; she told me, “You’d better figure out how to make friends with me because if you don’t I’m gonna make your life a living hell!” I’m pretty sure that every mother gives that speech to at least one of their kids – their ‘Grace-type’ kid. I have always been an independent spirit and she worried that a foolish child with large wings was a dangerous combination.
So, here I am age 21 (+8) recalling the many times that my mother just knew things that only a mother would know about her kid. For example, she knew when I had my first kiss and with whom (even though it was a supposed to be a super-secret operation because I wasn’t supposed to be dating him. He was “legal” and I wasn’t, if you know what I mean). The next morning when she picked me up from my friend’s house she asked, “Did you invite Kevin over?”
“NO!”
“Did he kiss you?”
“NO!”
That was then end of that conversation. How did she know? More importantly how did she know Kevin was a bad choice? He WAS “legal”. My dad was right about him, “Some guys only want one thing”.
Somehow, all of this related to the conference but I can’t remember how… I think it had something to do with a session I went to at the conference called “Spirituality and Film” and my mom’s recent suggestion to have a “party with the ‘Lord’” by going to a movie. I’m pretty sure I underestimated the “Lord’s” ability to show up at that party. (Click here if you’re confused.) The movie I watched has been lingering in my mind like some kind of Buddhist meditation. Hhmmm…. like water to a thirsty soul.
(And, kind of like a good Matt Damon flick, sigh…)
1 comment:
Any post with a Matt Damon picture is a winner. ;)
I've decided a while ago that my mom is not always right. It took me a long time to figure it out, but now I can actually be an adult.
Post a Comment