Tuesday, November 29

I'm Smart: #4

What I learned at the conference...

4. Why I don't want a career in academia.



Well first of all, I don't want to make a career out of making up new words just for people to take them seriously (as mentioned in post 1 of this series). Second, I would rather find out what is great about the people in a Philly pub than the dis-embodied minds of academics. And third, I'd rather that the men around me strike up a conversation assuming I'm a stripper than assuming I could never measure up to them in this great competition we call "sholarship". At least they would "show me the money" in the first case.

Yesterday is also a good example of why I don't want a career in academia. I just spent 3 solid days (one of them 12 1/2 hours long) of writing a paper that ended up being 17 pages (first draft) just to have my professor tell me I have to do it all over... I was so far off track that the paper isn't redeemable. The wasted time I spent includes the whole week prior that I was reading the wrong books. So, now I have 2 weeks to write three 20 page papers instead of two. I want to shoot myself (or my professor... I haven't decided, yet.)

Ultimately, I don't want to spend my days scratching chins with potentially pretentious people. (scratch "potentially")

Maybe my 2-day therapist was right: "Maybe [I'm] not a scholar."

6 comments:

T. Basselin said...

maybe the problem is that scholars are not Grace.

Grace said...

i'm keepin' you around tb.

Oh, Momma! said...

I agree with tb!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Tim can say that 'cause he is one. (scholar not stripper (i think)).
good to hear you're having fun ;)
erik

Grace said...

Hi Erik!! We'll be in Portland for X-mas... how weird is that?

Anonymous said...

nice! we'll be in CA! at least the 22nd -28th. If youve got spare time while were here we'd dig seein y'all.
found your blog through tim's. ya'll write good. you should think about doing it for a lving. oh wait....