Monday, November 14

The Old Woman Who Lived in a Coat



There was an old woman
who lived in her coat
She took so much care of it
people called her devote
She re-sized and mended it
dry-cleaned it, too
And, no one would guess that
it wasn’t brand new


I've decided to start a mini-series about the life and times of the woman who previously owned my winter coat. I've decided that I know her intimately after examining it closely.

The browning tag and the weathered inner lining tells the age of this coat - it's not young. The outside of it is as good as new, showing off it's orange and yellow plaid stripes. It's shoulders have been resized to fit a small frame and the pockets have been re-stitched many times. This coat has seen many winters. The buttons have been reattached a time or two (the mix-matched string tells the story). This coat was worn and mended with love for many years and seasons.

It tells me the story of one woman's history and I...

will share that with you.

No comments: