Saturday, November 12

at home with the homeless - leading The Way

Lately, when I call my mom and ask her what she's been doing she inevitably says something about ‘feeding the homeless’. This is not a new activity for her, she has long since concerned herself with the cold feet and hungry stomachs of people who don’t have homes, but lately there is a new fervor in her voice and more passion in her stories.

My mom is an Administrative Assistant, a Notary, a wife and a mother of five children (the hardest job on earth). So, needless to say, this w
oman keeps busy. But on her lunch breaks, on her way home from work and especially on Sundays (because the shelters are closed) she drives by the town plaza looking for desperate people. She buys fabric, makes blankets and scarves, packs up her trunk and has an automobile that is always-already packed with goodies and warm clothes just waiting for a home with the home-less.

This ‘feeding the homeless’ thing has never been a big hit with people at church. “Oh! No thank you. Maybe next time.” they ever so graciously decline her invitation to join in this uncomfortable activity.

I can’t help but thinking: this discomfort is a stranger to the Author of our faith.

“It’s SO much fun!” she says trying to convince them… “It only takes 30 minutes.”

These church people 'follow Jesus'. They follow him all day long until bedtime when they climb into their cozy sheets and let him walk the streets all night trying to stay warm.

I am one of those people. I have had offers by my mom to feed the homeless… offers that I have declined… offers I was scared to take her up on. What if I looked them in the eye and realized that they’re human? What if I feel guilty for having what I need? What if I can’t look at the indignity of their existence without making faces of shock and horror?

What if I am forced to admit that they’re not all drug-addicts? So what if some are? Don’t drug addicts need food?

My mom doesn’t go to church anymore. She says that she “takes church to other people now”.

Tonight the homeless people in Arcata, California will be eating:
Chili “with lots of vegetables in it”
Homemade brownies
Hot tea
and

Lemon cake with blueberries

…and one woman will be altered one more time by looking into the eyes of someone who can see her more clearly than she can see herself.

Thanks for leading The Way, Mom.

I’m right behind you… just trying to catch up.

"...There are millions of poor people in this country who have very little, or even nothing, to lose. If they can be helped to take action together, they will do so with a freedom and a power that will be a new and unsettling force in our complacent national life..." -- The Trumpet of Conscience, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, 1967.

America's Poor People's Movement

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very proud of Erleen. She has a real compassion for the homeless. On cold nights, she lies awake wondering if "her kids" are cold.

On another note, Big Brother is watching me, I guess. Because I am classified as a supervisor at Humboldt State (I don't supervise anyone) I am required to take a two hour harassment training on-line. I find I am required to be pro-active in quashing and reporting illegal harassment. I was shocked to find that included in the legal definition of harassment is the Rush Limbaugh program on the radio. It is illegal in California to listen to him while on the job. It does not matter whether anyone else can hear your radio.

I'm no fan of Rush Limbaugh, but I deeply resent being told I cannot listen to him and must make sure that nobody esle does either.

I'm wondering which other programs will be banned. Family Radio? NPR? BBC?

Dad

Anonymous said...

The compassion is a gift that only the Lord can give. He has given it to me this year and it is awesome to share. This is the first year of serving the homeless where I actually feel like I am preparing it for Jesus and serving Him out there on the street. In all the years of serving strangers this is the first year I believe He has revealed to me angels in the park.
He has given His angels charge over me to guard me in all my ways, and now has sent me a darling helper, Katelyn. (her street name is Liz) Also the Lord is using Dad to fund this project so far and other Christians are also getting on board and excited about helping. They are becoming less afraid to go beyond their comfort zone. Praise the Lord! The Lord is the blessed giver of every good and perfect gift. He is using many of His body to help with this project. Please pray for more workers for this harvest. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Whoa, Warren, that is really weird. Are you sure that it is illegal in California or is this just an HSU policy? Either way, that's an abuse of civil liberties by any definition, in my opinion.