Thursday, November 17

The Death of Nature

Today I'm going to read a book called "The Death of Nature" by Carolyn Merchant. The truth is - I should have read this book a week ago and I should have read two other books by now. That's a little number I call pro...crastination!

I'm tired of reading books with titles like "the death" of something - women, nature, justice, everything. What about the "life" of something - women, justice... anything. When you spend your days deconstructing the houses of injustice you start wondering where you live, where you can find shelter from the rain. Where are the houses of justice? Let's start building!

One of my favorite feminist theorists, Audre Lorde, says we shouldn't "dismantle the Master's house by using the Master's tools", in other words don't use the enemies tactics for the 'war on terror' (to use a familiar term).

It's funny. I was watching the Daily Show last night and they were (satirically) debating the use of torture on our war enemies. It went something like this:

"We shouldn't use torture because then we'd be just like the evil and primitive enemy."

"But, if we don't use torture then we might suffer a worse fate... we might lose."

"You're right! You go ahead and torture and I'll look the other way."

I laughed out loud on that one. The logic of our Master and Commander is laughable... that is if it weren't for the fact that he is trying to run the world and shedding a lot of blood in the process.

Anyway, it would make a good story if we weren't living through the hell of it - not so intelligent man from Texas takes over the Presidency of the United States and almost single-handedly takes down our economy by picking a fight with the middle east through colonizing effort.

I guess he didn't get the memo: We've moved on from that primitive 'colonizing' thing. Now we call it "globalization". Now we just twist poor countries arms by dangling money in front of them until they "open their economy to 'the market'" and then we rape them by taking all the profits they generate from there on out. Much easier and less expensive than war.

Poor guy. He's not the smartest man in the world (but don't tell him that).

I don't know how this post became all about that man. He's gotten enough attention over the past few years. You think if we ignore him he'll keep out of trouble? ... Nahh.

Oh well!

I'm content and happy with my country - I'm white aren't I? I'm not poor.

**(by the way click here and scroll down to choose "Flu Fighters" clip from the Daily Show... it's so funny!)

No comments: