Wednesday, June 2

Random Acts of Violence (Update Below)

Tonight I begin training for volunteer work at a local women's shelter that hosts women and children in immediate need of escaping violent homes. I am terrified. I'm also excited about the possibility that this could be the beginning of meaningful work for me - hopefully paid work soon. Volunteer training only happens twice a year and the process is quite elaborate. I will be attending 3 hour sessions 3 nights a week for the month of June. Below are a few of the session titles:

  • Sexual Assault
  • Effects of Trauma
  • Legal Issues in Domestic Violence
  • Crisis Intervention, Safety Planning, Role Plays
  • Domestic Violence and Youth

So, I'm gonna take a deep breath and act like I have the breasticles to handle this stuff.

Also, I'll be taking public trans downtown and back home each night, another reason to be terrified. I realize statistically I am more likely to be raped by a man I know than by one I don't but ever since that "close-call" on public trans I have reason to be nervous.

The short story is: a seemingly "normal" man on the bus tried to intimidate me with eye-contact, proximity and body-language. When I decided to make friends with the bus-driver and tell him what was going on things escalated into a verbal fight between the driver and the man who ended up getting kicked off the bus. So on his way off the bus, the man verbally and almost physically assaulted me. After the bus driver was finished screaming profanities at this guy out the door he told me what I already knew - never get off the bus when this kind of thing is happening because this guy will rape you. Duh!

Anyway, I'm putting on a brave face and packing some heat... well, pepper spray anyway. Say a prayer for my body and soul if you're the praying kind.

ALSO, (and here's the "update") the address number for the volunteer training is 1111. This must be a sign from... God... Yeah. I'm gonna say God.


3 comments:

loriann said...

As always, you are my hero. :) xoxo L
P.S. What if it's Edward Cullen instead of God???? Far more embarrassing, eh?

Anonymous said...

Just be careful! We love you.

Anonymous said...

That was me, Melodee. Still trying to figure this out.