Thursday, February 11

This Is SO NICE!


My boobie has stitches in it. It's probably not a big deal but my Dr. thought it wise to do a biopsy on a strange spot on one of my breasts. When asked by a friend if I was nervous about this procedure I responded, "No. I'm looking forward to having an hour of baby-free time during the day." Yikes! I thought to myself. Is it really that bad?

Apparently it is.

The nurse prepped me for surgery and left me on the table waiting for the Dr. Though only a small amount of tissue was removed it was surgery nonetheless - the gown, the bright light, scalpel, scissors (I was surprised by the scissors, I didn't see that coming) and the stitches. I should have had some shred of nervousness. But I didn't. When the nurse left I closed my eyes and thought to myself, "This is SO NICE." Silence. Laying down. Alone. I pretended the bright florescent light shining through my eyelids was the sun and I was laying on the beach. I could even hear the ocean waves crashing... about 50 yards from the Hawaiian hotel pool I was laying at. My body got heavier until I was almost in a deep sleep when suddenly (5 minutes later) Dr. Kang came in. "How are you doing?" he asked.

"Great" I said, unable to wipe the grin off my face. "Did you take time off work to be here?" he asked, trying to figure out why I was so happy. "Yes. Yes, I did." I said smiling and sleepy. And that's when it hit me. It is that bad.

You know you need more time off when surgery is a welcome break. I would just settle for a lunch break at this point. I'm not sure how much more weight I can lose and still be in my healthy range. (These kids keep me running in circles.)

I'll know the results of the biopsy early next week. Even if this strange spot betrays me it can be easily contained. They'll just remove the rest of it. (That's right. Another break for me.)

1 comment:

Sonja said...

Oh, Grace... I hear you (even though I don't pretend to really understand the depth of your need for solitude/me-time/peace-and-quiet).
I hope your boob is okay. My coping strategy: Have some wine (chocolate during the day). {{hugs}}