Saturday, September 23

Fright

I would like to announce that European's most recent adventure was a trip to "Joisy". I met her in the City (because Joisy is beautiful but boring). When we saw each other standing outside of Penn station one thing was immediately clear - we were wearing the same outfit. The jeans and tennies were understandable (jeans are customary and you need comfy shoes when you plan on walking one million blocks). But a gray and black striped shirt? Who could have guessed this? (There was an important difference, however, my shirt was a V-neck sweater and hers was a classic tee.) But even though we had a moment of fright it didn't last long because our day involved shopping... actually, shopping was all our day involved. Except for a trip to a local NY cuisine.


Here is a list of havoc I've been wreaking (NOT "reeking"... I looked it up):
  • I started (yet another) job teaching English to speakers of other languages at Drew. The first day was frightening. But good. I'm think I'll pursue this as a career if my job as a stripper doesn't work out.
  • I gave my right hand a second-degree burn the first week on the "bread and butter" job by picking up a hot pan (hot out-of-the-oven pan) with my bare hands. Yes, I did. (I used an oven-mitt to take it out of the oven though... I'm not THAT stupid.) I, of course, acted like I was fine in front of New Employer and then cried like a baby to Matt when I got home. Literally. Cried like a baby.
  • I have been starting to think about trying to start my thesis sometime soon. I should think harder about trying. I've only read half a book and September is rapidly leaving me. The important advisor people say I should have this (80 page) paper done by December. That way my very busy and procrastinating professors can slowly review it for months (the entire Spring) and I can make any revisions on it before I "defend" it in May. Defend. I have visions of lofty scholars trying to snatch it from me and me slapping their hands away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gracie,
I'm so glad you got to see European. Thought you wouldn't get a chance.
Would you like to hear another Barns moment? After much thought, Barnabas discovered the way women get pregnant:
"When a man kisses a woman, he sticks this thing into her stomach and gives her a seed and it becomes a baby. If the man waits too long, he becomes fat."
Astonished mother's answer,"And how does he stick it in her stomach?"
"Through his tongue when he kisses her."
Brother J.,"No, a farmer swallows a sunflower seed and then he gives it to his wife and she grows a baby."
After mom recovers from laughter, "First of all, men get fat because they get married and have someone to take care of them and they don't move around enough anymore, they just eat."
(I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.)
Barns - "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!"
Mom - "And women don't get babies from tongues in their mouths, or sunflower seeds. They get them from s.e.x."
Barns - "Oh, gross!"
Good try, Barns! Sometimes deductive reasoning doesn't work so well. Keep trying.

Grace said...

I LOVE it! I miss those boys SO much! They're crazy fun!

I love how he doesn't know how babies are made but he knows what sex is.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure he knew what sex was, only that it grossed him out. But he does now. Dad had the talk with him. He's getting to the age where if we don't talk to him he'll believe whatever his friends tell him and they are starting to like girls now. PS We're tired of sending our special needs student who is brilliant, but just can't focus, into a classroom with gangster kids who harrass him on a regular daily basis so that he now REALLY can't focus on work. So we are pulling him out and going to do the virtual charter school again, with Barns only.