Saturday, May 20

Technically on Vacation

Yesterday I was feeling guilty for not keeping my nose in a book for 12 hours every day and then I remembered... I'm technically on Vacation. No guilt necessary. And so I relaxed and took it all in.

I am currently in Portland Oregon (the city of the gods). I have fallen in love with it. It’s a strange mix between New York, San Francisco and Arcata (three of the greatest places in the U.S.). The architecture reminds me of NY – the gothic cement buildings and narrow streets – and the people remind me of Arcatan’s – hippie, earth-firsters – and there are a bunch of unique bridges that cross the local river ever so San Francisco-ishly.

In the past few days, I've started most of my sentences by saying – “When we move to Portland…” I think Matt is warming up to the idea. I haven’t felt this strongly about a city since my passionate affair with LA. But I think this time I'm in deep. It’s a dangerously permanent place - a long term relationship. I can see myself in Portland’s eyes.

Portland is unlike New York, Arcata and San Fran in that it has friendlier people than NY, warmer summers than Arcata, and it is 'oh so' cheaper than San Fran when it comes to buying a house. But the sweetest part of the deal, the thing makes Portland my new big obsession is that we have lots of friends and family living here and nearby.

Ah, I’m home.

4 comments:

Sib said...

How fun! I hear that Portland is the new promised land. :) Also, about four years ago, Health magazine noted Portland as the best major city in the US to live in for lots of reasons. It sounds amazing!!! Hope you have a wonderful time!!!! Enjoy a real VACATION :)

Grahama said...

I think that you are hearing the still soft call of the Spirit to relocate to the land of gorgeous greenery, full grown trees, no sales tax, and letting someone pump your gas for you (and you aren't even supposed to tip!!!)
We're in CA right now and gas is $0.50 more a gallon here! How long you gonna be in Stumptown? We'll be back on sunday, so if you're still in town we'd love to show you our "cheap" lovely little house.
As an incentive for Matt, let him know that he can count me in for poker night!
Move! Seriously. Jesus told me he you should. (Not the "Savior" Jesus, just this guy I know)

Sonja said...

I've never even been to Portland and I want to live there. Or Seattle. Or Denver. Or pretty much just outside of Orange County, really.

Kate said...

hurry up and move here already!

We miss you!