Monday, May 1

Good Golly Miss Molly!



Ugh.

I feel like crying.

I just said goodbye to my little friend Molly (my job) for the summer. Molly has been the best surprise that New Jersey has offered me so far.

You may remember the post I did in September about getting Molly for a job. I'm just now realizing that I haven't posted about her since then. Maybe that's because she doesn't provide wildly entertaining blog material (except for the poop all over my clothing episode). The truth is, I provide entertainment for her.

She is a very docile child... unless she's bossing me around with one of her two words. And, she's obviously very intelligent and prefers clam, cool and collected activities... except for our daily post-nap dancing where she seriously teaches me new moves. Other than that, she likes to read and watch kids play games (or me make faces). I think she'll be a writer someday like her dad.

And, I'm so jealous because she's already accomplished one of my life goals. She's bilingual. Her housekeeper only speaks Spanish so Molly fluently understands both English and Spanish. Sometimes I speak to her in Spanish just to impress myself and she's faithfully responds. (I can't be that bad.)

"Donde esta tus zapatos, Molly," I might say. Or, "Quieres agua?" Or, "!Tengo pelo verde!" just for fun.

But, she took me by storm. She really got under my skin. She comes running up to me for hugs and kisses right when I walk in the door and sometimes she prefers me to hold her instead of her mom. (Yikes. Feelin' the hate from su Madre.)

So, yeah, I just said goodbye. I had my last dance with Molly tonight. And, I think she understood that I wouldn't be back for a long time or maybe she was just picking up on my sadness. (Four months can be a quarter of a lifetime to a toddler.)

I just hope she warms up to me quickly in September.

(sighing and frowning)

Bye, Molly. Tenga un buen verano.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, you all don't even KNOW how cute this kid is. She is great.