An article by the Associated Press reported that the CIA
"fired a top intelligence analyst who admitted leaking classified information that led to a Pulitzer Prize-winning story about a network of secret CIA prisons."
Our Government is upset about this because
"The story caused an international uproar, and government officials have said it did significant damage to relationships between the U.S. and allied intelligence agencies."
OK! First of all, our international relationships are already "damaged" with most countries in the world at this point - even our "allies".
Second, what a moral way to look at it - outraged over damage to relations instead of possible human rights violations that the United States is secretly doing. Oh, but I guess they already knew about that.
Who are these prisoners? Suspicious looking Arabs? People who someone said had something to do with something?
Do they have rights to attorneys? No, otherwise these prisons wouldn't be 'secret', would they?
Who oversees the humane treatment of the prisoners? No one. Otherwise we'd be up front about these prisons with our allies.
How bad has it gotten people?
Does anyone find this scary?
Concerning on any level?
Slightly interesting?
Can we even call this a democracy when a CIA agent risks exposure and emprisonment because she leaks information about the barbaric activities of our government? Does anyone even care? Or are we trusting our good "Christian" government to do what's right?
OK, I'm a little bitter beause last year I took a class called "Global Peace and Justice" and I learned all about our "secret" torture prisons in Latin America (historical ones, of course... like from the 1950's and 70's).
I had a feeling we never got rid of these "schools" (as they call them). Especially post-9/11. Let's build new "schools" where we can teach those dirty Arabs a lesson or try to get the truth out of them or both.
Wow... I can honestly say that I used to be proud to be an American.
I'd like to know if anyone else gives a shit about this. Talk to me.
Saturday, April 22
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I hear you Lori. There's the interplay of global understanding and action and local understanding and action. It is exhausting to be alive sometimes, I mean really alive, where you take in the world's pains and joys, injustices and surprises. And then to move beyond mental ascent to actual action or social change, whether it be with your neighbor or church or team or community or state and so on, there's just so much work that's needed.
I hear you Grace. Damn our country can be so injust! and racist or elitist or nationalistic! Morality is stretched in every direction, and snaps so often. The complexity of it all is what blows my mind; there's so much we don't know b/c it's either hidden or diluted or exaggerated and such.
How do we know truth or reality? And then how do we do something about it to make positive, just changes, as individuals, groups, communities, countries, etc.
Given the complexity and enormity of it all, it's easy to be rendered paralyzed or completely confused or emotionally drained.
I just don't see an easy answer or fix all, and I guess I take most comfort or satisfaction in some small things, and with my inner desires to make meaningful changes (or at least be a part of them). BEING PRESENT in the joys and pains of life has to be the biggest thing, I think. :) And then responding has to be the next most important thing. Pretty vague, huh.
So, I'm interested Grace, and there's ways I'm trying to "be present" and "to respond." I wish (facetiously) there were a manual to live a meaningful life and be civically (locally, nationally and globally) active.
Thanks for your thoughtful responses. It's good to know that other American think that this is immoral let alone something that should not happen.
I feel the paralyzation and I'm all for grass-roots.
Truth be told, I keep waiting for someone to lead a protest about something I care about so that I can consider taking time out of my overly busy life.
(frowning)
i hear you grace. and I I would join with you in that protest, if it fit my schedule. :)
i find a lot of meaningfulness in my job at study circles resource center, working on the national level to resource communities who are seeking to solve public problems. i just went to a symposium in Danbury yesterday where the attorney-journal of CT showed up...they are having problems with immigration and diversity in their community. study circles helps local activists, business leaders, governmental leaders and so forth come to the table and meaningfully dialogue--get to know each other, across difference, and get a more full perspective on the problem. Then, they all work together to make changes, hopefully structural changes that will last and will be institutional--rather than just meeting peripheal social needs.
And busyness...geez...isn't that what keeps us well-intentioned and impassioned citizens from organizing more and acting more. And it allows for bad policies and procedures to continue.
And I've got kid #2 coming in September...aaagh. I'm finding it so hard to have personal time anymore to think deeply, or to meditate, or to play. Whew.
I was reading a book the other day that is germane to this discussion. The Good Citizen, compiles chapters from 8 different authors I think.
Hi -
(don't know if you mind perfect strangers posting on your blog, but...here goes!)
I'm not American, but I agree!
I think that governments prevent civilian mobilization through mass education - which in itself, is a dream factory. The dream factory's purpose is to keep us distracted, or at least well intentioned, but not mobile. We get caught up in careers, financial security, vacations, baby stuff...etc.
I have too little ones of my own, and as I become more and more busy, it's hard to sink my teeth into the types of literature that I would like to.
Luckily, I work and go to school at a university with great "thinkers" (faculty members) that I can have conversations with. I think that's the only way that I've been able to stay afloat. I'm sure there are other ways, but haven't seen any so far. All of my friends who went out into the "real world" have lost themselves along the way...I guess we're all waiting for something catastrophic. Or maybe not.
And thanks for your comment Kandirra! I feel the same way... I worry about when I won't spend my days reading and thinking about this stuff. I'm already immobile. What happens when I'm busy with the 8-5 and a couple kids. Probably nothing... just like now.
(frowning again)
Post a Comment