Thursday, March 30

Proverbial

Religion has taught me
That knowledge is suspect
It shouldn’t be trusted without serious investigation
Unless it is made inside sacred walls

Womanhood has taught me
That morality is fluid
That lies can mean safety
That my body gives birth to sacred people
And defiles sacred space

Science has taught me
That nothing is sacred
That belief is irrelevant
That faith is foolish
And theories
are worthy of whole-hearted devotion

Motherhood has taught me
That sleep is a friend
That rest is a stranger
That I can be lost and found
In the same moment

Love has taught me
That what can be given has already been received
That anything worth doing involves risk
That love when lost is the deepest human sorrow

Humanity has taught me
That truth is elusive
That fear looks like anger
And wisdom is rare
But, oh, so needed

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very profound poem Grace, I like it. Did you write it?
MelMel

Grace said...

Thanks Mel. Yep, I wrote it.

Sonja said...

Love. It.
So true...