Wednesday, September 28

Triple "R"

Today I will pick up my favorite Feminist Theologian from the airport, Rosemary Radford Ruether (author of many, many books) . She is the keynote speaker at a conference hosted by Drew and I'm very excited to finally meet her!

She was my first introduction to female-friendly Christian theology in her book Sexism and God-Talk, which I read 2 years ago. And, I just finished her book Gaia and God: An ecofeminist theology of earth healing. (I highly recommend it for anyone who cares about the earth, women, or Christian theology). She has a deep understanding of all of these
realms of knowledge.

As much as I appreciate the opportunity to get higher education I must say, lately I've been seeking wisdom, which is not offered at any University.

Knowledge is something that can be created, pimped out, marketed, and sold to the highest bidder. Knowledge has become elusive in our postmodern era, partly because of the failure of the scientific theory, which has for a while now been our means to finding "truth". The saying went something like this, "If it can't be scientifically proven it isn't true." Well, a smart man once said "that statement cannot be scientifically proven." So, there goes that theory!

What is knowledge, anyway, but an agreement by some people about an idea? What is 'knowledgeable' but the storage of those ideas?

So, that leaves me with wisdom, the one thing that can't be created, pimped out, marketed, and sold to the highest bidder… that is besides love, of course. Those are gifts. Those are the only two things I ask God for – wisdom and love (except for an occasional intervention into our world when it gets desperate).

The rest is nonsense - except for the effects that "knowledge" creates in the world. And, those effects are real. That's what gives me the motivation to sit, read, and type all day instead of getting out into the sun and meditating on the "biotic communities" as Triple "R" would say.

3 comments:

Sonja said...

Grace, you temptress! You know I have no time to read things just for myself!!! In my next life (that is, once I graduate), I will read some of her stuff. Triple R sounds so interesting!

Kate said...

Grace, did you really get to pick her up? How was it? Did you get to discuss anything with her? I'm curious. -Kate

Grace said...

Yes, I did pick her up. I hope to write about it soon. I've been in a conference every day all day since Thrusday and it doesn't end until Monday. I'm exhausted and burnt out on academic mumbo-jumbo. ;p