
I’m surprised no one has written lengthy academic books about the spiritual significance of hair. (Maybe they have.) The two books that I will write someday will be titled “Holy Bible: 2nd Edition” and “The Theology of Hair”.
Think about it, what would the story of Sampson and Delilah be without the long flowing hair of a strong man? (Mmmm…) Anyway, in various sects of most religions hair (the way it is worn or the length of it) holds spiritual symbolism or significance.
About two years ago, I was pretty down and out after a series of sad life circumstances. I found myself wanting to close up to the vulnerable part of life and put on my happy, pleasing face so that I didn’t have to let people inside the places where I hurt. I cut my hair shorter than I’d ever cut it, not because I thought it would help me achieve greater heights of beauty but because I was feeling as stunted as those sprigs of hair. I also did the socially celebrated and acceptable form of cutting – I got a tattoo. I almost immediately regretted both of these self-destructive (for me) acts but at least hair grows back, right!? In fact, right after I cut my hair, I told Matt, “As my hair grows back so will my hope.” I wanted hope to sneak up on me one day when I wasn’t expecting it – like looking in the mirror and saying, “Look! My hair came back!”. One day I wanted to say “Look! My hope came back!”
Hair is very redemptive. It always comes back… even after you butcher it.
It takes time to grow hair and it takes time to recover from getting the wind knocked out of you by life. (My hair has, strangely enough, been taking it’s dear, sweet time growing back. Maybe it doesn’t want to take me too off guard. Or maybe it's building up the courage to trust me again.)
I’ve been professionally cutting peoples hair for 8 ½ years now and I always know how life is going for someone based on what they want me to do to their hair. For example, when a woman with long flowing hair sits down, points to her chin and says, “Cut it up to here” I ask her, “Who is he and what did he do?” (Usually, he cheated on her, by the way.) My male clientelle seemed to respond to heartbreak differently. They won’t come in for months and months and when they finally do they look like Bigfoot on Rogaine.
Keeping yourself vulnerable in life is a risky thing – especially after deep devastation. When you make yourself vulnerable to the elements of life you are inevitably going to feel her imperfections. Hope offers us the greatest potential for life’s happiness, but also unhappiness, too. If you can weather the storms of the down side of life you will find that there is even greater potential for happiness on the other side... and... the wisdom that comes with this success is the most valuable human experience.
The other day while walking across campus, I turned my head to see the first leaves of Fall hit the ground. At that moment, I felt my hair sweep across my shoulder and I smiled and thought...
... “There you are hope. I knew you’d find your way back to me!”
3 comments:
Awwww! I really enjoyed reading this. I'm so glad your hair came back ;)
My hair is very short (shorter than in the picture), and I have it that way because I feel confident and actively involved in my life. The day I got it cut, I started walking taller.
Goofy.
You should write that book...
I'm so glad this piece touched you!
It is my favoirte. This outlet for expression has become my way of not only communicating with people I love (whenever they get the chance and and is convenient for them) but for me to work some things out.
That post was the demarcation that my hope came back... my hair just tapped me on the sholder to remind me and the post made it concrete. My real live journal on my desk get no more love these days.
Love you bro...
This is beautiful.
Post a Comment