
Matt and I went to see the movie Little Miss Sunshine last night. Before we left, we watched the trailer to make sure it wasn't as lame as a movie about a young girl who gets into a beauty pageant threatened to be. Upon viewing the trailer we were sold immediately and knew that it promised to be about so much more – real life. As the trailer ended it flashed the rating – “Rated R”. I was a little surprised by this. What could possibly make this movie about a family traveling hundreds of miles across a few states to get their daughter to a beauty pageant rated R? Being a person who hates movies that unnecessarily throw filth into a plot just to get a viewing audience I was skeptical, to say the least.
About halfway through the film (which I was laughing and cringing through) I realized that the film’s “filth” wasn’t a marketing scheme. This film acted out the rawness of the human condition, dramatizing the fact that - Real Life is Rated R! Afterward, I found myself reflecting on the audiences reaction to the film, “That was a different movie.” [insert awkward smile] Truth be told, the movie isn’t that disturbing in content - maybe in form. Being an independent film, it didn’t have the Hollywood airbrush to sweep away the consequences of certain human action. I guess people still go to the movies for entertainment. Not a reality check!
I find the movie way less disturbing than real-live families who act as if real life isn’t rated "R"... Requiring Parental Guidance.
No comments:
Post a Comment