Friday, January 6

Spirit Song

Do you have a song that summons you into deep and instant meditation right when you hear it, like Spirit that shows up unexpectedly in the laughter of a child? It calls you into relationship with yourself without first fighting through thoughts that cloud your mind.

I took a class called Ritual Theory last semester and Professor Brown described music as a holding space for excess emotions. More often than not, that is how I experience music… a deep space that holds all things words fail to explain or express. But I do not think Dr. Brown has the whole story on music.

I think Spirit finds a particularly easy inroad to human souls through music. Music asks questions only spirits can answer. Music transcends time and space, even as it sets the body to a beat and the soul to a moment. The rhythms of a Life are set to music and music can blaze a trail to the Sacred.

Songs are not always sacred or even spiritual. Strangely enough, I’ve always disliked singing in church; standing next to people you don’t know, singing songs you didn’t write and sometimes don’t understand. They can be dead, tired, or painfully over done – like Christmas carols. (Yawn!)

But because music is a conduit that Spirit moves through, songs can be infused with new life spontaneously - at any moment!

Lately I’ve been listening to an old hymn that was recently redone. The moment I hear it I find myself entering into deep and instant meditation. This is a song that never stood out to me in all of my Baptist, hymn-singing days as a child, but all of the sudden it holds a power over me that can not be explained as a ‘holding space’.

I can be found listening to this 7-minute song over and over again - sitting in what feels like complete silence. This is the quietest noise I’ve heard in a long time.

Mmmm….

8 comments:

T. Basselin said...

This song puts me there every time.
Over The Rhine
"Latter Days"
words and music: Detweiler
recording: Good Dog Bad Dog

You can hear the beginning of the song by clicking on "01" at this site:
http://www.overtherhine.com/music/recordings/cd08/cd08.html

The lyrics:
What a beautiful piece of heartache this has all turned out to be.
Lord knows we've learned the hard way all about healthy apathy.
And I use these words pretty loosely.
There's so much more to life than words.

There is a me you would not recognize, dear. Call it the shadow of myself.
And if the music starts before I get there dance without me. You dance so gracefully.
I really think I'll be o.k. They've taken their toll these latter days.

Nothin' like sleepin' on a bed of nails. Nothin' much here but our broken dreams.
Ah, but baby if all else fails, nothin' is ever quite what it seems.
And I'm dyin' inside to leave you with more than just cliches.

There is a me you would not recognize, dear. Call it the shadow of myself.
And if the music starts before I get there dance without me. You dance so gracefully.
I really think I'll be o.k. They've taken their toll these latter days.

But tell them it's real. Tell them it's really real.
I just don't have much left to say.
They've taken their toll these latter days.
They've taken their toll these latter days.

Grace said...

I love these lyrics and the part of the song I was albe to hear. Thanks for sharing it. You know I'm a music slut.

T. Basselin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sib said...

right on, grace. thanks for this post. it does me good to read and be reminded. i'm listening to Enya right now, as i'm reading various blogs. a few of the songs that do it for me are Michael Buble's "Feeling Good" gets me going. Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek," Coldplay's "Everything's Not Lost," REM's "Everybody Hurts," According to John's "Nothing Back," Citizen Cope's "Salvation" and "Son's Gonna Rise," Joseph Arthur's "Let's Embrace" and "Redemption's Son" and "In the Sun," Sarah McLachlan's (w/Emmylou Harris) "In the Arms Of An Angel," Neutral Milk Hotel's "Untitled," and Solomon Burke's "None Of Us Are Free."

Grace said...

Hi Nick,

I just discovered Imogen Heap. Lovin' it and "Hide and Seek" does the same thing to me, too.

Wow!

Anonymous said...

"Hell's Bells" by AC/DC!
I was 19 years old at Fort Benning, GA going through Airborne School. The line "my life is flashing across the... your only young but you're gonna die" blaring through the barracks teh night before and the morning of our first jumps. Sorry, but every time I hear that song I am swept back to 1989; a young cadet ready to take on the world. When I was in Afghanistan in early 2002, I heard the song one night and sort of laughed at myself for ever being so young and naive. At least I am still taking on the world.... hahahaha

-Dave

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I got in a hurry and screwed the line up from the song up... it goes, "My life is flashing across the SKY... you're only young but your gonna die."

Sib said...

I first heard of Imogen Heap while driving home and listening to NPR. I was amazed.